Saturday, February 26, 2011

Horrifically Good Movies

If Hollywood is the Dream Factory, 2010 was the year of dreaming dangerously, a year when horror films had no monopoly on nightmares – Horrifically Good Movies (Macleans Magazine)

With the 83rd annual Academy Awards coming up this Sunday, I thought it would be fun to write an Oscar related post this week, since that seems to be what everyone is talking about. However, since this week’s class actually involves doing a Vlog (video blog) – Cue gasp - I will do my best to make a video talking about an article I chose to discuss. 

There are lots of articles and posts about the Oscars out there, but besides just listing the nominees, like the ones listed on the office Oscar website, I thought I would talk about something a little different. As you might know from this post, I like to read Macleans Magazine, and a while back I remember reading an article called Horrifically Good Movies that really stuck with me. It was about all the best movies of 2010, most of which have now been nominated for multiple awards, including Oscars. 


This year I have actually managed to watch all the movies nominations for Best Picture, so I do know what the Macleans article is talking about. In case you are curious, the films nominated for Best Picture are: Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids are All Right, The King’s Speech, 127 Hours, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, and Winter’s Bone. That’s 10 films, so it was quite the feat! I saw 6 in theaters, rented 2 and saw 2 online. In fact, I actually saw Inception and The Social Network twice, they were that good!
 
But check out the below video, to hear (literally!) my thoughts about what Macleans called, Horrifically Good Movies.  


The Oscars are a huge event for the motion picture industry, and they draw large television audiences, whether it’s to check out who wins, who goofs their speech or just to see what people are wearing. According to BBM Canada, last year, the 82nd annual Academy Awards broadcast and the Academy Awards Pre-show had an Average Minute Audience (AMA) of 5,889,000 and 3,678,000 people 2+ respectively. Nothing to laugh at, since this year’s Superbowl only gained an AMA of 6,537,000 in Canada.

So will you be watching this years show? Think any deserving movies were missed or nominated unfairly? Let me know!  

For a list of all the nominations, check out this Oscar Ballot. For those interested, you can even print it out and use it at this years Oscar party!

No comments:

Post a Comment