Tuesday, January 11, 2011

About me

My name is Victoria, and although I am a full time student right now, I love being social as much as I can. I love asking questions, getting to know people and exploring the world around me. For me, this means learning and absorbing as much as I can, which lead me to obtaining my BA in Psychology at UVic in 2007. I love learning about the mental processes and behaviour of people, so even though I had no clear career aspirations at the time, I knew it was the right fit for me. 

After graduating university I didn’t really know what I wanted to do, but I ended up getting a job for a Market Research company. Although I wouldn’t exactly call my job Psychology related, (it involved a lot of “free time”, where I honed my online reading skills) it did develop my interest in marketing. After all, isn’t marketing just one big social experiment, with money on the line, and power and politics getting in the way? After putting in a solid 2 years at my job, I decided it was time to go back to school and decided to complete my Marketing Management certificate in Communications at BCIT.

About this blog... 

I love using technology, and primarily the internet, as a tool for learning and connecting with people and I always like to try out the newest applications; from MSN Messenger in the ‘90’s to Google Chat today, and from Hi5 in the early ‘00s to Facebook today. My current obsession is with Google Reader, which lets me keep track of the over 40 different websites/bloggers I subscribe to via their RSS feeds. Despite all this learning and absorbing, I’ve never had the time (or desire) to start a blog to actually share what I've been learning/thinking/observing. That’s about to change! 

With the recent popularity of Social Media, I’ve realized it is the ultimate combination of my love of social processes, psychology and marketing.  I hope to use this blog to share all my observations and thoughts and start conversations about the information I come across in my day to day life, not only in social media, but marketing and current events. I love asking "why??" and trying to find out what makes people and organizations tick. I also know from taking online courses at BCIT that connecting with people about meaningful topics can be very rewarding, and I hope to combine the two! 

In the future... 

After finishing my certificate at BCIT I hope to find work in the Marketing sector, and I want to use this blog to work on developing my personal brand. So all you companies out there, looking for an eager, educated, social addict, look no further!

Socially yours,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment