Sunday, January 30, 2011

More about "Stupid"


I just wanted to write a response to Justine's comments on my last post, and elaborate on what I thought about Diesel's "Be Stupid" campaign.

Justine made a good point about the word “stupid” being used for another media campaign, but in a totally different context. The Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport also have sort of PSA’s (public service announcements) about why quitting is “stupid” and have their own stupid.ca website. I remember seeing these commercials on TV and print ads on the bus, and like she said, they do “equate smoking with the traditional sense of the word, to be dumb, dimwitted, mentally slow, not bright”. However, I wonder how successful this campaign is? I know teen smoking is a lot lower than it used to be, but in my opinion, the think the typical ads the government uses to dissuade teens from smoking were never very effective. I think the stupid.ca campaign is typical of government PSAs that use simple language and follow the “traditional” fear tactics. Did you visit their website? It actually isn’t its own website, but linked to through the Ontario government’s site. Its actual link is:  http://www.mhp.gov.on.ca/en/youth/stupid/index.asp, and in my opinion, the site is not that interesting to navigate through, check it out. 

What I think Diesel is trying to do (whether it appeals to you personally or not) is be different, and change the definition of the word. Stupid is a loaded word in English (and many other languages as well) and typically has a negative connotation. It has many meanings, and can be used as a noun, adjective or adverb but according to Dictionary.com, stupid can be defined as “lacking in common sense, perception, or normal intelligence” and “trivial, silly, or frivolous” as well as what I think you were referring to: “having dull mental responses; slow-witted”. I think with so many meanings, there is a lot you can mean by when you say the word, as Diesel pointed out in their “Stupid Philosophy”.

Like Justine pointed out, people typically equate “Stupid” with the “having dull mental responses; slow-witted” definition, as show by the guys who participated in the “Jackass” TV show and movies (they also have their own video game too by the way). However, according to IMDB (the Internet Movie Data Base) Jackass: The Movie grossed $11,125,224, Jackass Number Two grossed $18,755,517 and Jackass 3D Grossed $117,224,271, all in the USA alone. That means their movies alone grossed over $147 million dollars, from ticket sales alone, not to mention video rentals and merchandise for a relatively low budget films. 

Would making these movies be equated with “lacking in common sense, perception, or normal intelligence”? Maybe physically, but not from a financial perspective! I think this would fit perfectly with what Diesel said: “Smart may have the brains…but stupid has the balls”. Johnny Knoxville and his friends were willing to do “stupid things” (ie. Because of their “dull mental responses”) on film to entertain their fans and it paid off. I’m sure they love what they do, and I think this is their way of pursuing a “regret free life”. 

  
Justine also made the point that “stupid is the definitive path to a life full of regret, isn’t it? When you make bad, stupid decisions, you regret them, no?” but I wouldn’t agree. Of course you could do things that are “stupid” because you are “slow-wittedbut I think you learn from all your mistakes. There’s a reason for the saying “whatever doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger” because you learn to a.) not make the same mistake again or b.) how to do things better next time or c.) grow from the experience and become a stronger person because of it. I don’t think you should chose to do things you will regret later, but once they are done, I think regret is a waste of time. 

I think some decisions I’ve made are “stupid” (ie. “Silly”) like when I decided not to take Math 12 in high school because “I didn’t want to have a degree/career where I would ever need Math 12” because, sure I ended up having to take it as a prerequisite for one of my 3rd year courses at University, and it was a pain. But because of that, I had to take the Math 12 equivalent course at the local college (Camosun) and it was quite the experience. No regrets there. And I know in my life, I’ve made some decisions that are “stupid” (ie. “lacking in common sense”) like living with one of my boyfriends in university after dating for only 6 months, but I learned a lot, and would never want to “take it back”. 

So although Diesel only created this campaign to sell jeans etc., I do support their “stupid” campaign and believe they have some words to live by. That being said as “stupid” does have so many meanings that I think one has to be careful not to just take them at their word that being “stupid” (ie. “slow-witted”) is “cool”, like Brittany S. Pears on Glee. It is important to be intelligent, and learn, but by doing it in a “stupid” way, (ie. “lacking in common sense, perception, or normal intelligence”) is ok with me. Don’t do things because you worry about what people will think about you, do them because you want to, even if its “stupid”. 


 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Please note that I have not been paid by Diesel to write this post, and neither do I own, or ever plan to own anything made by Diesel. Unless one day I do. In which case it has nothing to do with this "stupid" (ie. trivial, silly, or frivolous) post.


4 comments:

  1. Well it must be a generational thing but when I look at the Diesel campaign one word describes it for me - and yes it begins with an "s". I get it, but I don't. Was Jackass really that funny?

    Too bad our society can't "be smart and have b&lls". But that wouldn't be so out there that it garners attention. And I guess there's no such thing as bad pulicity.

    Is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie,

    Thanks for the comments!

    I can't say I'm really a "fan" of Jackass either, I just thought it was a good example that Justine brought up. In fact I've never seen the show, or any of the movies, but I do know what it’s about. But hey, people are entitled to watch whatever they want, whether its Jackass or Jersey Shore, Cake Boss, TMZ, or any other sort of useless show - it's a free society, and we all have our guilty pleasures!

    I think people can be "smart and have b&lls" but what this campaign is trying to say is that many "smart" people don't have the guts to do "brave" things - they are too afraid of looking/being/acting "stupid". So it’s pretty much just a call to relax, and be yourself, and stop worrying about what other people think.

    At least that's how I see it!

    There’s a great expression my boyfriend told me from India: “Eat what you want to eat, but wear what the world tells you to wear”. It’s about conformity, and following social norms, and I feel like this is what the “Be Stupid” campaign is trying to “rebel” against.

    And sure, all the sexy ads help bring them publicity as they try increase their brand awareness. It will be interesting to see how they build on this campaign in the future, and motivate viewers to action, ie. actually purchasing their merchandise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you provide a great outlook onto new ideas that people regularly come up with; ideas that society and some people themselves might deem stupid. Let’s consider Charles Goodyear, I am sure he himself would think that it was stupid of him to mistaking drop sulfur on top of hot rubber. Thus, was invented the process of vulcanization (vulcanization makes soft rubber into harder more durable rubber).

    Goodyear’s company grew astronomically producing vulcanization rubber tires. Due to this stupid mistake of Goodyear he became a very rich person. In 2008, Goodyear tires North American sales alone equaled $5.17 billion dollars.

    I would say he did pretty well for a stupid guy, don’t you??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anonymous,

    Great example of someone being "stupid"!

    I think the Goodyear story really shows how something "stupid", ie. "trivial" like making a mistake can actually lead to a new, highly successful product category, or industry. I'm sure there are many examples similar to this, throughout history.

    Like you said, many ideas are considered "stupid" before they are accepted. Earth is the center of the universe? Stupid! Man landing on the moon? Really stupid! A global system of interconnected computer networks that serves billions of users worldwide? You get the idea.

    I would say this fits well with the Diesel quote: "The smart might recognize things for how they are. The stupid see things for how they could be."

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete